Monday, February 6, 2012

Just Write, Already. . .

This weekend was fairly productive.  I had Bug stay with my parents Friday night, and although I didn't write that night, I was able to get up early Saturday and get some good time in.  I worked on completing the story for my next assignment and one of my longer stories.  


I'm hoping to get the longer one to novel length.  Right now it's around 18,000 words, and going well.  Unfortunately, the tale unfolds in my mind much faster than I can get it down "on paper."  This leaves me feeling like I'm backtracking sometimes.  I have to reread exactly what I have to continue on the correct path.  Well, that's not entirely true, since I have a pretty good idea where I leave off each time, but it emphasizes the frustration with the slow pace.


So this is one of my biggest problems when I write.  I edit and change the story as I go.  Sometimes I even go back to a particular point that doesn't seem to fit "where" I put it, or "when" I put it.  I'm constantly making sure the continuity of the story as a whole isn't compromised.  That there are no inconsistencies.  (Inconsistencies bug me.)  Small details that don't mesh will slow my writing to a stop until I can smooth out the wrinkles.


So, I need to work on that.  Just write.  Wait to edit and refine when the story is complete.  Maybe I'll actually be able to get the longer ones finished then.


By the way, an excerpt from the wanna-be novel was posted previously.  You can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment